I live in the Birmingham, AL metro area.
- Cloud computing/hosting – most of my projects are in Azure, but I also work with AWS
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD)
- Authentication – single sign on (SSO) functionality with SAML and OIDC/OAuth2 (Azure AD, B2C, Okta, Identity Server)
- Electronic payments and integrating with accounting systems
I went to Auburn University and earned degrees in Electrical Engineering and Finance. After college, I did some COBOL programming, but really wanted to work on Windows programming, which was still a bit of a novelty at this point. Since I couldn’t find a job I really wanted, in 1994 – I started Westglenn Software to do Visual Basic programming. For many years, Westglenn was a Microsoft partner whose specialties grew to include C#, SQL Server, BI, and Microsoft Dynamics SL (an ERP system formerly named Solomon).
I’ve been an independent consultant for most of the last 30 years, but I did work as the CTO of a medical (orthopedic) practice for a couple of years, which was invaluable for learning about healthcare operations and technology. I also spent about a year as a product owner of a SAAS application (hosted in AWS) that archives medical records for physician practices who are switching EMR systems.
Sampling of projects (past and present)
(This is a more comprehensive list than what’s on the home page.)
- Application that allows students to write experiments in Python to take measurements from a Raspberry Pi expansion card on the International Space Station
- Software as a service application to help life sciences companies maintain compliance with the Physician Payments Sunshine Act
- Provided single sign-on (SSO) functionality for a facial recognition application
- Application to help Wal-Mart vendors digest transactional reports provided by the company in a dashboard
- A custom LMS (Learning Management System) for a non-profit that certify coaches in sports first aid. The LMS has been used to certify over 10,000 coaches.
- An online (web) ordering system for the caterer than manages the luxury boxes for several SEC stadiums
- An Android app to help baseball coaches track pitch counts
- An iOS bar code scanning app to help craft brewers track keg inventory
- A software package to process aerial surveying data generated by laser from small airplane tied into GPS to create survey maps of transmission lines for power companies.
- A Multimedia CD (pre-Internet era) for Auburn University football with video highlights, pictures, historical statistics, etc.
- SessionBridge – a utility for software developers (when Microsoft’s .Net framework was new) that helped ease website migration from ASP to ASP.Net.
- Managed (as CTO) the expansion of a medical practice from 2 sites/35 employees to 9 sites/100 employees in just a few months. Included new construction, telecom services, fiber deployments, VOIP phone systems, WAN/VPN connections, WiFi infrastructure (private for doctor’s iPads and public for patient waiting rooms), in addition to typical computers and printers.
- A reporting portal for a large telecom company that needed to provide operational response times to the FCC.
- A manufacturing system for a large lumber mill to track timber purchases and production of lumber and flooring.
- Financial reporting system for a large financial services company that manages timberland as an investment product
- Web application to help athletic trainers, coaches, team doctors, and parents communicate about injuries and rehabilitation to high school football players